BRAIN FACTS TO BLOW YOUR MIND
The human brain. You can’t do anything without it and it is responsible for everything that we do – from waking up in the morning, remembering the way to get home each day or feelings of love – the brain runs the show. It is the most complex organ in the human body, a command center for the central nervous system, initiator of physical and cognitive skills, and the controller of behavior.
Let’s test your brain knowledge! How many of these 24 brain facts did you know?
24 FACTS ABOUT THE HUMAN BRAIN
- The brain makes up about 2% of a human’s body weight
- The brain weighs about 3 pounds
- 75% of the brain is water
- 85% of the brain is the cerebrum
- The brain is the fattest organ in the body
- At age 18, your brain typically stops growing
- Stress alters brain cells, and function
- Dreaming requires more brain activity than any other activity we do when we’re awake
- Music improves brain organization
- Your brain cannot feel pain—a headache involves nerves and muscles in your head. It is the single organ in the human body that lacks nerves. This is why surgeons can perform brain surgery on a patient while they are still awake.
- There are 100,000 miles of blood vessels in your brain. The distance around the world at the equator is 24,900 miles. That’s enough to wrap around the Earth four times!
- Every time you recall a memory or have a new thought, you create a connection in the brain
- The average person has 70,000 thoughts per day
- When our eyes receive images, they are upside-down. Our brain automatically adjusts them so that we see images right side-up
- Though studies have shown that the male brain is on average up to 10% larger than a female’s brain, it has been proven that female’s brains have more nerve cells and connectors which enables it to work more efficiently
- When we are awake, the brain generates enough energy to power a light bulb
- Seafood is considered one of the best foods for the brain. The fatty acid present in most seafood and fish can improve memory function by about 15%
- Alcohol interferes with brain processes by weakening connections between neurons
- Altitude can make the brain see strange visions—these effects are attributed to the reduced supply of oxygen to the brain
- Memories triggered by scent have a stronger emotional connection
- Each time we blink, our brain kicks in and keeps things illuminated so everything around us doesn’t go dark each time—we blink about 20,000 times per day.
- A living brain is so soft you could cut it with a butter knife
- Children who learn two languages before they turn five have much denser gray matter than adults – they literally build bigger brains
- The human brain is divided into two hemispheres: the left and the right. A strange fact is that the left side of your brain actually controls the right side of your body, and vise versa. The left brain contains regions involving speech and language and is associated with mathematical calculation and fact retrieval. The right brain plays a role in visual and auditory processing, spatial skills and artistic ability, though these functions involve both hemispheres.
Making sense of the brain’s complexity isn’t easy. What we do know is that this organ is what makes us human, and is responsible for each individual’s personality, memories, movements, and how we look at the world around us.
Interested in some brain tips? Check out more tips courtesy of HW Neurological Institute, LLC and www.healthwatchmd.com!
If you don’t use it, you’ll lose it. Keep your brain active by learning every day. No, we don’t mean you need to go back to school. Continuing education courses will do the trick!
If you are in need of a brain power boost, check out these drinks that will help!